How To Choose The Best Gas Fireplace
Nothing beats cozying up to a fire on a cold night here in southwest Virginia – except the idea of doing it at the flick of a switch, with no wood fire setup and cleanup hassles. That convenience is exactly what you get when you install a propane fireplace or propane gas log set.
The question is, how do you pick the perfect propane hearth for your home? Here are some factors to consider:
Propane Hearth 101
There are two basic categories of propane hearths:
- Propane fireplaces and stoves are standalone appliances that you install where there is no pre-existing mantle. This is a great option if you’ve always wanted a hearth but didn’t want to go through the hassle and expense of installing a masonry fireplace.
- Propane fireplace inserts and log sets are devices that install within an existing fireplace structure. An insert is basically a glass-enclosed, air-tight combustion box that harmlessly exhausts fumes outdoors through a vent (see below for more on venting). Propane log sets are typically ventless. Both are a great solution if you want a more convenient way to provide high-efficiency warmth and ambiance to your living space.
More Fireplace Choices
Whichever option you choose, you will have three basic considerations to keep in mind:
- Venting – There are three common venting options: direct, natural, and vent-free. The one that is most practical and safe will depend on conditions in your home, local fire and safety requirements, and your budget.
- Space – The size of a gas fireplace will often determine how much heat it can produce. You’ll need to know how much space you can spare for a fireplace – and how much heat you will need to warm the room. A good starting point to keep in mind for space heating in our region is to plan for 45-50 BTUs per square foot; for a more precise heating load assessment, ask one of our experts.
- Aesthetics – There are many trim features and options available for your fireplace – from simple modern to more classic designs. If you choose a propane log set, you’ll have dozens of realistic wood designs to choose from!
Our team can help you answer these questions and any others you might have so you can get started on the road to your dream hearth.
Keep your home cozy this winter with Midway! Contact us today to get started on the road to a propane hearth for your southwest Virginia home!